Publication
Title
Chromosomal microarray analysis of Bulgarian patients with epilepsy and intellectual disability
Author
Abstract
High resolution chromosomal microarray analysis (CMA) has facilitated the identification of small chromosomal rearrangements throughout the genome, associated with various neurodevelopmental phenotypes, including ID/DD. Recently, it became evident that intellectual disability (ID)/developmental delay (DD) can occur with associated co-morbidities like epileptic seizures, autism and additional congenital anomalies. These observations require whole genome approach in order to detect the genetic causes of these complex disorders. In this study, we examined 92 patients of Bulgarian origin at age between 1 and 22 years with ID, generalized epilepsy, autistic signs and congenital anomalies. CMA was carried out using SurePrint G3 Human CGH Microarray Kit, 4 × 180 K and SurePrint G3 Unrestricted CGH ISCA v2, 4 × 180 K oligo platforms. Referral indications for selection of the patients were the presence of generalized refractory seizures disorders and co-morbid ID. Clearly pathogenic copy number variations (CNVs) were detected in eight patients (8.7%) from our cohort. Additionally, possibly pathogenic rearrangements of unclear clinical significance were detected in six individuals (6.5%), which make for an overall diagnostic yield of 15.2% among our cohort of patients. We report here the patients with clearly pathogenic CNVs, discuss the potential causality of the possibly pathogenic CNVs and make genotype - phenotype correlations. One novel possibly pathogenic heterozygous deletion in 15q22.31 region was detected in a case with ID/DD. Additionally, whole APBA2 gene duplication in 15q13.1 was found in three generations of a family with epilepsy, ID and psychiatric abnormalities. The results from this study allow us to define the genetic diagnosis in a subset of Bulgarian patients and improve the genetic counseling of the affected families. To our knowledge, this is the first aCGH evaluation of a Bulgarian cohort of children with epilepsy and ID so far.
Language
English
Source (journal)
Gene. - Amsterdam
Publication
Amsterdam : 2018
ISSN
0378-1119
Volume/pages
667(2018), p. 45-55
ISI
000436884000006
Pubmed ID
29753047
Full text (Publisher's DOI)
Full text (publisher's version - intranet only)
UAntwerpen
Faculty/Department
Research group
Publication type
Subject
Affiliation
Publications with a UAntwerp address
External links
Web of Science
Record
Identification
Creation 16.07.2018
Last edited 11.09.2021
To cite this reference